Is the delight of a chocolate recipe extraordinaire. Each year since 1998, we have scoured the very ends of the earth for the right chocolate recipe for our December issue. This year’s comes from Art Wright, and it’s a winner. Don’t forget the whipped cream and enjoy. Happy holidays from all of us.
Ultimate Bread Pudding
•1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
•2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
•1 cup packed light brown sugar
•3 large eggs
•2 cups whole milk
•1 tablespoon vanilla extract
•2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•1 pound egg bread or challah, cubed
•1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
• large egg yolk
•1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
•1/8 teaspoon salt
•2 tablespoons butter
•1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
•1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
•2 to 3 teaspoons brandy, optional
Sweetened whipped cream:
•3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
•2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
•1 to 2 tablespoons brandy, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9-in. springform pan with 1 tablespoon butter. Cube remaining 1/2 cup butter; place in a small saucepan. Add chocolate chips and brown sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, espresso powder, and salt. Gently stir in bread; let stand until bread is softened, about 15 minutes. Fold in chocolate mixture. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake uncovered until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 45-55 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, heat cream in a small heavy saucepan until bubbles form around the side. In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk, brown sugar and salt. Whisk a small amount of hot cream into egg mixture; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Stir in butter. Fold in pecans and coconut. If desired, stir in brandy. Cool.
- For whipped cream, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners’ sugar and, if desired, brandy; beat until soft peaks form.
- Carefully run a knife around edge of springform pan to loosen; remove rim from pan. Serve pudding warm with sauce and whipped cream.